In and Around Fitchburg, Massachusetts

This blog was created to discuss some of the positive aspects of living in Fitchburg, Massachusetts, that are often overlooked by outsiders and residents alike.

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Berkshires one evening, Boston the next

I have become completely addicted to The Smokin’ Hippo in Erving. As the name implies, BBQ is their specialty. They make their own thick, tasty sauce and slow cook the meats in their smoker. The result is an unbelievably moist, smoky flavored dinner. There’s also a lot more than BBQ to offer. The salads consist of farm-fresh veggies (no pale iceberg lettuce here!), the corn-on-the-cob is from a local grower, and the jalapeno cheddar cornbread is a creative treat. There are many other items on the menu, including vegetarian options and seafood. Eight BBC offerings are on tap, with a sampler tray available for those not familiar with the brewery (or for those who can't pick just one brew!). It recently occurred to me that since Erving is less than 45 minutes from my house, why limit myself to weekend trips there? So I headed out for dinner on a weeknight, leaving home at 6:30 p.m., eating a relaxed dinner (with dessert), and making it home around 9:00 p.m.. Heck, that’s about the amount of time I’d be gone if I decided to wait for a table at the Outback Steakhouse two miles from my house!

The following day, I learned that there was a big sale happening at one of my favorite boutiques in Boston at Copley Plaza. I left home again around 6:30, purchased a great dress, grabbed some dinner at the Prudential Center food court, and was home before 10:00.

So what’s my point? Well, other than “try The Smokin’ Hippo!,” my message here is that Fitchburg is VERY uniquely situated. I’m really enjoying the opportunity to live within an hour of Boston as well as in close proximity to all that the Mohawk Trail region has to offer.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home