In and Around Fitchburg, Massachusetts

This blog was created to discuss some of the positive aspects of living in Fitchburg, Massachusetts, that are often overlooked by outsiders and residents alike.

Friday, September 22, 2006

My Commute - Farmstands and Foliage Galore

Fall is by far my favorite time of year for commuting - aside from the increased traffic associated with the start of the school year of course! I work just outside of Boston. In the mornings, I follow Route 2 east until just before the rotary, and I then get off and cut over to Route 117 east for the remainder of the way. In the evenings, when there’s less school bus traffic, I’m fortunate enough to be able to follow Route 117 west nearly the entire way home. My route takes me past more than twenty farm stands, orchards, and nurseries. Some of my favorites include Derby Orchards for peaches, Bolton Spring Farm for fresh bread, Great Brook Farms for fresh sandwiches, and Romano Greenhouses for hanging plants.

My ride generally takes about one hour. Unlike past commutes I’ve had that took a similar amount of time to cover a much shorter distance, I’ve found that this commute is almost relaxing. One of my co-workers lives in the city of Boston - she requires an hour to get to work, just as I do! When people talk about coming out “my way” for the Bolton Fair in the fall, I just smile to myself and think of how I literally drive through the fairgrounds every night on my way home. They speak enthusiastically of rare trips to go apple-picking, while I think of how I stop at various orchards en route to home on many evenings to pick up groceries. I feel fortunate to have discovered an area that combines rural charm with modern conveniences!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home