In and Around Fitchburg, Massachusetts

This blog was created to discuss some of the positive aspects of living in Fitchburg, Massachusetts, that are often overlooked by outsiders and residents alike.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

The Monument Grill

As is the case with any move to a new area, one of the most frustrating things for me when I first came to Fitchburg was trying to find new places to eat. Fortunately, I already had a few friends living around here who were able to offer some suggestions, but I've had to do a lot of experimenting on my own to track down some new favorite restaurants. I met a friend for dinner last night at one of the best dining establishments I've found, The Monument Grill in Leominster.

This particular friend and I have a habit of ordering salads or appetizers rather than entrees so we can save room for dessert. Typically, the quality of the service provided to us declines dramatically when our intentions become clear to our server! Our server last night, however, was very kind and continued to treat us well despite the fact that the restaurant was actually surprisingly busy for a Tuesday evening. She was even nice enough to allow us to substitute rum caramel for the creme anglais that normally comes on the Warm Chocolate Cake (highly recommended!). We were also pleased that the staff wasn't bothered by the fact that we lingered for more than an hour after dessert.

I plan to include more restaurant reviews in this blog, so as a start, here are my general thoughts on The Monument Grill based on several visits over the past two years. The Fitchburg/Leominster area could use more restaurants like this! The atmosphere is warm and relatively upscale, with outdoor dining also available in the summer. The menu offers a variety of delicious options, including creative appetizers, fresh salads, and a plethora of entrees. In addition to poultry, seafood, and steak dishes, a few vegetarian pasta dishes are available. The wine list is decent, and I would highly recommend the chocolate espresso torte for dessert. This is a great location to celebrate a special occasion, impress a date, or simply enjoy some wonderful cuisine. Overall, I'd give it a top rating in all regards (quality, selection, service, and atmosphere).

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At October 23, 2006 4:52 PM, Blogger Derek said...

Erica,

Have you and the hubby tried http://www.il-forno.com/ yet?

I took the GF there last weekend and we were pleasantly surprised with the food and service.

 
At October 26, 2006 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

May I suggest S&S Lobster on River Street in Fitchburg.

Or, if you prefer to eat locally, Il Camino on Central Street (Route 12)in Leominster has great Italian food.

It boasts freshly made pastas, great wines, and signature dishes such as Lazy Lobster, Chicken Marsella and both fabulous steaks and antipasto's.

 
At October 26, 2006 12:08 PM, Blogger Erica said...

Derek, funny you asked - I actually just stopped by Il Forno last week to pick up a menu so I'd remember to give it a try sometime soon! I've had many great meals at their Westborough location in the past, and I'm hopeful the food and service will be equally pleasing at the Fitchburg location. I noticed they allow BYO wine, which is a nice option. I'll try to post again once I give them a try!

Anonymous, I'm afraid I haven't hit either of those two restaurants yet either. I'm actually not a seafood fan (having grown up in Maine, I get ridiculed for that a lot), but perhaps I'll have to swing by Il Camino one of these days...a friend of a friend has actually mentioned that it's her favorite spot to eat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home