In and Around Fitchburg, Massachusetts

This blog was created to discuss some of the positive aspects of living in Fitchburg, Massachusetts, that are often overlooked by outsiders and residents alike.

Friday, June 22, 2007

Bangkok Hill

I owe a huge thanks to the readers of this blog who resoundingly recommended Bangkok Hill. I at last overcame my nostalgic sorrow at the thought of dining at the former site of Gloria’s (prior post here) and discovered that Bangkok Hill is a wonderful addition to our area dining options.

I was joined by my husband and a friend for our Saturday night dinner at Bangkok Hill (located in Lunenburg on route 2A, just over the Fitchburg border). It was relatively busy, but we had to wait only about ten minutes for a table. As those of you familiar with the former Gloria’s know, the interior of the building is quite small – it’s definitely not the place for a private dining experience. However, the food is fabulous! I had the Massaman curry with tofu, which was perfectly prepared. The most striking characteristic was the freshness of the vegetables. They were extremely flavorful and cooked to that “just right” point where there’s still a bit of snap as you bite into them. The tofu in the dish, an option that many restaurants throw on the menu as an afterthought, was lightly marinated and remarkably delicious. My companions had similarly glowing reviews of their dinners.

We capped off the evening with the fried ice cream, which I should note involved a dough-like coating rather than the coconut or cornflake style coatings to which I am accustomed. I think next time I’ll go with ginger ice cream instead. I also plan to ensure that my next visit occurs when I’m a lot more hungry, as there were many tempting appetizer options!

One thing to keep in mind if you’re visiting Bangkok Hill for the first time is that the spice levels indicated on the menu seemed to be rather non-specific. The entrée that I chose was designated as mildly spicy, but Massaman curry is actually very mild, and I definitely wouldn’t describe my meal as spicy. Red curry, which is typically a much spicier curry, was marked with the same mildly spicy designation as the Massaman. So I wouldn’t put TOO much faith in the spice ratings on the menu (although no one at my table tried one of the few three-star items, they might truly mean it with those!).

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home