In and Around Fitchburg, Massachusetts

This blog was created to discuss some of the positive aspects of living in Fitchburg, Massachusetts, that are often overlooked by outsiders and residents alike.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Café Destaré

Café Destaré is an outstanding, long overdue addition to the city of Fitchburg’s bar/café scene. Located on Main Street, the café offers a multitude of martini and coffee selections along with desserts from the North End and some “light fare” menu items. The interior décor highlights the beautiful architecture shared by so many of our downtown buildings, with high tin ceilings, brick walls, and expansive spaces. The layout is very well done, with a bar area to the right when entering, a cozy collection of couches to the left, and an array of comfortable lounge chairs and tables in front of a performance area and wooden dance floor straight ahead.

I had eagerly awaited the opening of Café Destaré for some time, but I must admit, the place far exceeded my expectations. It’s quite refreshing to settle into such an upscale bar in the heart of Fitchburg. The extensive martini menu tempts you to come back and try everything (I would highly recommend the Caramel Mochatini), while the coffee selections immediately conjured up fond memories of countless hours spent at Caffé Dolce as a college student in Worcester. (For those not familiar with Caffé Dolce, it’s at 154 Shrewsbury Street and is a must try!)

I’ve been pleased to see that on the nights I’ve visited Café Destaré, it’s been quite busy. On weekends, if you arrive before around 10:00 p.m., the crowd consists primarily of young professionals and a few older patrons. After that, more college students join the crowd, often dressed for a nice night out and serving as a wonderful reminder of how lucky we are to have Fitchburg State in our city, and it becomes a bit harder to find a seat. The café also seems to draw a decent crowd on weekday evenings – it’s a great spot to unwind with friends after a long day at work. Servers are friendly and attentive, and free entertainment is offered throughout the week.

Café Destaré is definitely a place that I will be returning to time and time again. And the best part is, at the end of the night, I’m only a few miles from home instead of being out in Worcester or Boston as I’ve historically been if I wanted a great coffee drink or a night at the bar!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At September 19, 2007 8:31 PM, Blogger fitchburg-shuffle said...

I couldn't agree more with your review. I only hope that it lasts. The owners have made too much of an investment to not make it happen.

After I graduated from college and came home, my friends and I would talk about how great it would be to have a "classy" place in Fitchburg. We would head to Worcester and Boston to find such places.

We now have nice bookends on Main St. Destare and The Boulder are two places where young professionals, older folks, and college students can visit without dealing with the "negative element".

 
At September 20, 2007 10:28 AM, Blogger Christopher J. Iosua said...

Thank you for you positive comments about Destare. I would like to also thank you for your efforts to promote the positive aspects of The City of Fitchburg. My partners and I took a very large gamble that the residents of Fitchburg and the surrounding communities would support us if we built Destare. Our gamble paid off. The community has been out in full force not only stopping into Destare but assisting us in spreading the word about Destare. We are extremely grateful for this and we will do our best to provide an exciting, dynamic, safe and fun place to enjoy a night out.

 
At September 21, 2007 9:26 AM, Blogger Erica said...

Christopher, it's I who owes YOU a thank you! It means a lot when someone with a business development background recognizes Fitchburg's potential. Plus, I've enjoyed seeing my out-of-town friends' reactions when they set foot in Destare - it's impressive what a single venue can do for changing people's misconceptions about our city.

Here's hoping that Destare yields massive profits for you that perhaps you'll consider reinvesting in our city. :)

 
At September 21, 2007 12:23 PM, Blogger fitchburg-shuffle said...

The most popular comment heard in Destare:

"Are we really in Fitchburg?"

 
At September 21, 2007 7:53 PM, Blogger Jason said...

Sadly, I haven't escaped the clutches of kids to get to Destare. Yes, shame on me. But the praise is universal, and from everywhere. If everyone I've talked who has been there once keep going back, Destare is going to be just fine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home