In and Around Fitchburg, Massachusetts

This blog was created to discuss some of the positive aspects of living in Fitchburg, Massachusetts, that are often overlooked by outsiders and residents alike.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Tre Sorelle

Continuing with the recent trend of blog entries regarding local restaurants, I want to mention Tre Sorelle, a wonderful new Italian restaurant/deli/marketplace that has just opened in Leominster. Now I can stop driving out to Boiano’s Italian Market in Southborough all of the time! Tre Sorelle doesn’t appear to have a website at this point, but it’s located at 544 North Main Street (route 12), shortly after crossing from Fitchburg into Leominster.

Tre Sorelle initially opened up the deli and marketplace component of their shop several months ago. I’ve been stocking my pantry ever since with items such as fresh pasta (I can’t get enough of the pumpkin tortellini!), gourmet sauces, pizzelles, and high-end olive oils. The selection of deli cheeses is quite good, but as a semi-vegetarian (I eat only chicken), I’m afraid I can’t comment on the meats - anyone out there have any input? I was particularly thrilled to discover the array of olives stocked in the deli, and the prices for these are unbelievably reasonable. The primary focus of the deli, however, is a wide variety of authentic homemade Italian foods intended to be heated up at home. There are numerous vegetarian options, including a remarkable veggie lasagna.

A few weeks ago, Tre Sorelle at last began serving sit-down meals as well, although they currently only have the kitchen established well enough to offer a lunch menu. I opted for the Zucchini Charlotte, and I can’t even begin to describe how amazing this dish was! I eagerly await the addition of a dinner menu, as I’m sure that it will offer many other creative, high-quality dishes. Until then, dining in for dinner is technically an option - the staff will heat deli meal items in the microwave - but I’ve found that nuking the food doesn’t quite do it full justice.

A final allure of Tre Sorelle is the dessert tray. Offerings include cannolis filled to order, tiramisu, and chocolate raspberry torte. My true weakness is the gelato, particularly the chocolate hazelnut flavor! Tre Sorelle is now open until 9:00 p.m., so it’s a great place to linger over dessert and a cappuccino. One warning though: they’re closed on Sundays. The owner has applied to the city for a liquor license, and this would no doubt become one of my most frequent places to eat out if I could add a glass of wine with an entree or a shot of liquor in my dessert coffee...I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed that the city pulls through!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At December 27, 2006 11:38 PM, Blogger Rich said...

Judging by the date on this post, you probably already know this, but Boiani's Italian Market in Southborough is now Panzano - owned and operated by the people two doors down at Tomasso Trattoria. The product offerings have been improved significantly since the change in ownership. It's a little pricey, but the sandwiches are truly sublime (and a decent value at $8). Make it a point to drive down there sometime. It's worth it.

Thanks for the great area restaurant info! I have been in Fitchburg less than two years, and have found the lack of selection in the food industry somewhat frusterating. I'll have to give some of the places you mentioned a try.

 
At December 29, 2006 10:07 AM, Blogger Erica said...

Sorry, I still tend to call it Boiano's out of habit, as I lived in that area for a number of years. :) (As a side note, next time you're out that way in the summer, be sure to head to Uhlman's ice cream on route 30 for dessert.)

I'd love to hear your thoughts on any food establishments in the Fitchburg area that you find and would recommend as you continue to explore...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home