In and Around Fitchburg, Massachusetts

This blog was created to discuss some of the positive aspects of living in Fitchburg, Massachusetts, that are often overlooked by outsiders and residents alike.

Monday, November 06, 2006

Fitchburg Public Library

I can’t believe it took me two years, but I finally visited the Fitchburg Public Library for the first time over the weekend. I was quite impressed with the staff and the library’s offerings. I used to be one of those people who read all the time, even picking up a second major in English as an undergraduate to dilute out the often mind-numbing science classes. Yet once I reached graduate school and was faced with a never-ending stack of tedious assigned reading and academic research, reading for pleasure was quickly dismissed.

I set foot in the Fitchburg Library this weekend and was immediately transported back to the days when reading was fun. The stacks are arranged for comfortable browsing, and there was a lot more than just books to offer. The public computers seemed particularly popular, but I was most drawn to the books-on-CD section. What a great way to pass the time while commuting! I was also surprised that so many movie DVDs were available...free rentals are much preferred over the $5 Blockbuster rental fees or the monthly Netflix charge! There were quite a few music CDs as well. In preparation for an upcoming trip to Costa Rica, I checked out a CD/book combo to teach myself some Spanish (both European and Central American Spanish versions were available).

After we left the library, my husband and I decided to spend some time wandering around the downtown area. I’ve always enjoyed the classic look driving through the area, but I gained a much better appreciation for some of the architectural details on our walk. We browsed a couple of shops, including Design at 639, which showcased a variety of furniture and artwork items. Somewhat to our surprise, there were actually quite a few other people strolling down Main Street. Overall, the downtown had a very nice look and feel to it, and I remain quite hopeful that more businesses will choose to open in the area.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At November 08, 2006 9:02 AM, Blogger Erica said...

I'll definitely have to check out the Leominster library as well. Fitchburg library cards are also valid at many other libraries, including Leominster's.

As for your report of issues you've encountered at the Fitchburg library, I didn't find any of those problems when I was there over the weekend and on a return visit this week. I'm afraid that I don't buy into the whole Fitchburg/Leominster rivalry, as I'm happy to have access to what BOTH cities (as well as other surrounding towns) have to offer.

 
At November 08, 2006 9:19 AM, Blogger brian michael said...

really! who cares about this rivalry nonsense. as far as i can see, it is just a vestige of years past and it is of no use for either side.

better than complaining about Fitchburg is just being quiet. let everybody like and appreciate what they like and appreciate. it does not diminish you to let go.

as far as the perception that there are drug addicts and homeless everywhere loitering etc...it is just that a perception that is colored by many things...mostly bitterness and anger.

i propose that people comment in the spirit of this blog - post about positive things, not tired old nonsense.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home